My boyfriend and I have been together longer than I’ve been sewing, yet I’ve hardly made him anything. Before this shirt the only things were a couple of simple bags and a Merchant & Mills Foreman Jacket that I made before I was really skilled enough to be making a jacket. But now that I’ve discovered that the All Day Shirt by Liesl + Co fits him well, I bet there will be some more unselfish sewing in my future.
This was actually supposed to be a Christmas present, of course, but in the weeks up to Christmas I was too busy making other presents and I put it off…and then I kept putting it off in favor of other projects. It’s funny, because I actually like shirtmaking and the All Day Pattern is very well put together, so it came together quickly once I sat down to it.
Instead of taking his measurements, I took measurements off a RTW shirt that fits him well. It put him pretty much exactly at a M, which was great. I think men are often pretty particular about how their clothes fit, so taking measurements off a well-fitting garment instead of the body is a good way to go.
The fabric is Essex cotton/linen in Spice. I waffled between this color and the extremely similar Cinnamon color, but I liked that Spice is a bit…spicier? I think it compliments the boyfriend’s coloring really nicely, anyway!
I don’t have much to say about sewing this, other than that the instructions were generally excellent. The sleeve plackets came together really nicely and the collar was one of my easiest. My only complaints are that the instructions for the cuffs were a bit confusing and that the seam allowance is only 1/2″. I managed to squeeze flat-felled seams out of it, but a 5/8″ allowance would have been better. The pattern only instructs you to serge or do fake flat-felled seams, where the raw edge is just stitched down and not concealed.
While sewing this I discovered the magic of using a glue stick for basting! Why have I never done this before?? It made all the fiddly bits about a hundred times less fiddly. I also used bias for the hem, which came out a lot neater than trying to fold that curve would have.
One thing about the way this pattern fits – the neck is extremely small! There’s no way Jay can button it up all the way, which isn’t really a problem for him because he never wears his shirts like that. But I think this is rather silly, since the pattern is designed to be a dress shirt and one of the views even includes collar stays! If you look closely at the pattern envelope, it doesn’t even look like the model would be able to close the top button.
Jay loves his new shirt and was excited about it the whole time I was sewing it. I’m really happy that my skills are now good enough to make things I’m actually proud to give him. He’s always been incredibly supportive of my sewing and it’s about time he got something out of it!